It’s January 17th, otherwise known as Ditch Day–by today, most people have already ditched their New Year’s Resolution.
I hope this isn’t you! Not because you’re still crushing it but because you didn’t buy into the hype and set an arbitrary and unattainable goal.
Today, a lot of people are probably feeling like failures. They didn’t wake up for the 6am workout they promised they would do every morning of 2018. Or they tasted the frosting on a co-workers birthday cake. Or they were hungry and ate what was available–and it wasn’t Whole30 approved.
There are a lot of people beating themselves up today because their new year’s resolution failed them. Yes, it failed you–not the other way around. This might sting a little, but here it is: just like diets, new year’s resolutions are designed to fail.
Don’t worry though–I’ve got good news! It’s okay. 2018 is going to be great. You’re probably going to be the best You that You can be. And not because you cut out gluten or lost thirty pounds.
It’s going to be your Best Year Yet because you’re focusing on things bigger than elimination diets and torture devices (re: scales). Manifest some shit that’s cooler than a smaller jean size. Okay?
Here are FIFTY tips to help you live well and feel a little more at home in your body. Remember, your health isn’t about listening to external forces that tell you drastic things you need to do to your body. It’s the little things you do, day in and day out, that make happier, healthier and more you.
So, step off the scale. Stop Marie Kondo-ing. Put the dumbbell down. And start HERE!
50 ways to make 2018 your Healthy(ish) Year Yet
1. Find your coven. Otherwise known as your #GirlGang.
2. Make time to date yourself every.single.week.
3. Take Facebook off of your phone. You don’t need to make stalking your ex that easy.
4. Write nice things on post-its and leave them in bathroom stalls.
6. Throw out your scale.
7. Cancel some of your subscriptions
8. Stretch. While you’re at it, foam roll.
9. Meditate when you can, where you can. Five minutes when you wake up or a more formal forty-five minute sit.
10. Practice your handwriting.
11. Eat more fiber.
12. Use the Pomodoro Technique.
13. Incorporate flax into your diet.
14. Learn to love Ohio.
15. Use your away message.
16. Wake up within the same 30-minute window every day.
17. Go to sleep within the same 30-minute window every day.
18. Hydrate. It’s more than just water.
19. Donate every piece of clothing that doesn’t fit you.
20. Take this quiz.
21. Buy yourself flowers.
22. Make your bed.
23. Wash your sheets once a week.
24. Take a walk around the block.
25. Stock up on all of the stuff you’ll wish you could find when you get a winter cold.
26. Find a way to do what you loved doing when you were 10. Singing? Soccer? Drawing? Dancing?
27. Wear sunscreen.
28. Send a loved one snail mail.
29. Explore your city.
30. Compliment others. And mean it.
31. Compliment yourself. And mean it.
32. Give yourself permission to eat.
33. Use light instead of a 3pm coffee.
34. Use blue blocker glasses at night.
35. Wear pajamas; I like these.
36. Master 10 recipes.
38. Try a new way to move.
39. Stay out too late and laugh until it hurts.
40. Say ‘no’ to social engagements that sound horrific.
41. Take a spontaneous weekend trip.
42. Start planning (and saving) for that once-in-a-lifetime trip.
43. Keep your phone out of your bed(room if you can).
44. Have the courage to let go of the people, habits and things that don’t love you back.
45. Finish your showers with cold water.
46. Invest in silk pillowcases.
47. Add one more serving of veggies to your day.
48. Use every single vacation day you’re allotted.
49. Get your annual physical and a full blood test (especially before buying a supplement).
50. Do whatever the fuck makes you happy. In the end, it’s you who’s there.